Teardrops
The grey
sky stretched over the wet grassy plains of Washington. The farm
before them had once been full of crops, workers and animals. Now it
was full of soldiers, trucks and weapons. Rose slowed the car to a
crawl.
“You
okay, baby?” She asked, turning to Will and placing her hand on his
leg.
“Yeah,
it's just not as romantic as I had hoped.”
“I know,
I'm sorry.”
“No,
it's okay. As long as I'm with you, I'm happy.” He smiled.
“We'll
have some romantic moments, I promise.” She said, before kissing
him. Driving up to the gate, Rose placed her hand on his leg again.
“Stay
here, baby. I'll be back in a second.” She said, climbing out of
the car. She slowly walked up to the gate. Will analysed the guards.
None were wearing military garb, yet they were all well equipped.
Seeing him, they had all drawn their guns, fingers resting on
triggers. Rose had approached the gate and began talking to a guard
on the other side.
“Boss
said you were coming alone.” He said, frowning. “Who's that?”
He pointed at Will.
“He's
with me” Rose said. “He's my boyfriend.” She spoke with
determination.
“Boss
won't be happy.”
“I'll
talk to him. Just let us through.” She said, before turning away
and returning to the car.
“Everything
okay?” Will asked.
“Yeah,
it's fine” Rose said, driving through the entrance.
Ahead
of them stood an old farmhouse. The typical white paint had mostly
remained, yet was now flaking and a few planks of wood were broken in
some places. Rose parked in front of the house, beside some other
cars.
“Right,
let's get inside.” She said, smiling. Will could notice that she
was faking her optimism. He nodded and got out of the car. Rose
opened the trunk taking out a few bags and handing some to Will. He
followed her inside, scanning the foyer. Some of the soldiers were
walking around the place, taking note of the new arrivals. They
walked past a kitchen, with soldiers playing cards, while one was
stood over a stove. Climbing the stairs, they entered what looked
like a command centre, full of computers. The walls were covered in
maps and blueprints.
“Andy.”
Rose called out. Andy, the only person in the room, was looking at
one of the blueprints, stroking his thin beard. He turned around and
after glancing at Will, frowned at Rose, who walked closer to him.
“Damn it
Rose, you can't bring civvies in here. What if he sees something he
isn't supposed to?” His eyes darted to to Will, then back to Rose.
“Something classified.” He put an odd emphasis on the word
'classified'.
“He's my
boyfriend.” Rose said. “When I'm working, he'll stay in my room
and do some paperwork.” Andy looked down, rubbing his temples with
his hand, and sighed.
“Fine.”
He said, calmly. “Just keep an eye on him and keep him away from
the deal.”
“Okay.”
Rose said, nodding. She seemed relieved. As she walked back to Will,
Andy spoke.
“Your
room is down the corridor, last room on the left.” He turned back
to the wall as Rose lead Will down the corridor.
When
Rose opened the door, she looked disappointed, sad even, as she
dropped her bags. Will noticed this and put his bags down. He held
her shoulders.
“This is
fine.” He said, quickly kissing her on the cheek. “I think it is
quite romantic.” The room was virtually empty, save for a single
mattress on the floor and an old rocking chair. Rose's eyes began to
water.
“I'm so
sorry baby, I thought...” She whimpered. Will took her hand and led
her to the window, pulling up the rocking chair. He sat down and
pulled her onto his lap, hanging her legs over the arm of the chair.
“Listen,”
He said, stroking her hair. “I don't need a fancy room, as long as
I have you, I'm happy. See this view, this chair, you and me.
Everything is perfect.” She leant on his chest and held him as he
wrapped his arms around her. Will felt the teardrops fall onto his
chest.
“I'll
make it up to you, I promise.”
“Tell
you what, on the way home, we'll stop at that fancy hotel we saw and
get you into the spa, get a king size bed and unlimited room service.
Okay?”
“Yeah.”
Rose whimpered burrowing into him. “I love you.” Will looked out
the window, his eyes started to water.
“I love
you too.” He said, kissing her forehead. He sighed, feeling a sense
of apprehension, as the clouds rolled by while the sun began to set.
Will
was stood in a church. He looked down to see that he was wearing a
light grey suit. Beside him stood a priest. He took a double take
when he realized the priest was missing his head. He covered his
mouth to keep himself from throwing up. He spun around to look at the
assembled guests sat in the pews. They were all dead, some had broken
necks, others had weapons sticking out of them; knives, swords,
chainsaws. He held his hand to his face and closed his eyes. When he
opened them, the church was empty. Most of the pews were overturned
or broken, the walls were crumbling and part of the ceiling had caved
in. At the far end of the church stood Rose, wearing a wedding dress
and holding red roses. She walked down the aisle towards him,
smiling. With each step, blood seeped through her dress and her smile
faded. Once she reached him, her dress was soaking wet and the roses
had become white.
“I love
you.” She said, leaning in to kiss him. As she did her face became
gaunt. Will stepped back, fear striking him.
“What's
wrong baby?” She said, moving closer to him.
“Rose,
you...” He tried to speak. Lightning crashed down, blinding him.
After blinking a few times, he found himself surrounded in darkness.
Rose's voice echoed around him.
“I love
you.” She said with a whisper over and over again. Will spun
around, trying to find Rose. He heard her crying, far away.
“I loved
you!” She cried. Sobs became screams as he kept spinning, faster
and faster.
He
jumped up in shock. Looking around him, he realized he was back in
the bedroom in the farmhouse. Rose was lying beside him and had now
woken up. He breathed heavily as he ran his hand through his hair.
Sunlight crept through the window.
“What's
wrong baby?” She asked, sitting up. Her soft warm hand stroked his
back. “Did you have a nightmare?”
“It's
fine.” He said, standing up. “I just need a shower.” Rose
watched him with worried eyes.
After
showering together, Will began to get on with some work he had
brought with him. Rose walked to the door then stopped before opening
it.
“Would
you like some breakfast?” She asked, turning around.
“Okay,
what is there?”
“Not
sure, I'll get you what I can find.”
“How do
you know I will like it?”
“I know
you, baby. I won't let you down.” She smiled, before leaving. Every
other sentence she said stabbed him in the heart like an icy cold
dagger. She returned with some toast and milk.
“Sorry,
baby.” She said as she brought them to him. “That's all I could
get. Tomorrow I can get you some pancakes.” She crouched down and
kissed him. “I'll be back in a few hours.”
The
hours seemed to drag on, the room became more and more prison-like.
Rose returned as the sky started to redden.
“Hey
honey, how's it going?”
“Alright,
I guess. Just don't like being stuck in this room the whole time.”
“I know,
I'm sorry baby. Look, I'll get us some food and we can watch a movie
and tomorrow we will have a romantic day, Okay?” She was doing her
best.
“Yeah,
you're lucky that I love you.” He said, almost cracking a smile.
“I
know.” She said, smiling. “I'll make it up to you, I promise.”
Rose
came back an hour later bringing fast food.
“Sorry
for being late.” She said, putting the food down beside her. “There
was nothing around for miles.”
“It's
alright. What did you get?”
“Heh.”
Rose grinned. “I got you a bacon cheeseburger, curly fries and a
chocolate milkshake.”
“You
know me so well.” He said, before kissing her.
After
eating and watching a movie, they lay together, staring into each
others eyes.
“I love
you so much.” Rose said, stroking Will's hair.
“I
know.” He smiled. She screwed her face up and pushed his shoulder.
Did she get the reference? “I love you too.” He held her hand and
kissed it. “I'll show you how much.” He rolled her over. Rose
laughed.
“You're
gonna show me?” She asked, looking at him expectantly.
“You
bet.” He said, undressing.
Will
woke the next morning to the smell of maple syrup and bacon. He held
his face in his hands and stood up, wrapping the sheet around his
waist. The morning sun gently brushed over the wet grass, soldiers
were doing push ups in the yard. The door crept open. Will spun
around, reaching for his hip. Upon seeing Rose's face poking through,
he relaxed.
“Morning
baby.” She said, sliding into the room. “Sleep well?”
“Yeah,
fine.” He looked away, muscles still tensed.
“Relax
baby.” She approached him, taking hold of the sheet. “I've seen
it all before.” She let it drop to the floor. “No one's going to
come in.” She stroked his hair, frowning. “You look tired, did
you have another nightmare?
“I'm
okay.” Will said, holding Rose's hips. “Just a bit nervous.”
Rose looked down.
“You
have nothing to be nervous about” She grinned, raising her
eyebrows.
“I'm
nervous about this romantic day you have planned.” He whispered.
Rose screwed up her face, closing her eyes.
“I'm
sorry baby.” She said, looking into his eyes, sadly.
“Did you
forget?” He asked, with a slight insincerity to his voice.
“No, I
didn't. No.” She looked determined. “I just have a few things I
need to do first.”
“I can
wait here.”
“No, I
made you breakfast and got Andy to let you freely roam around the
farm.” As she said that, a voice cut through over the PA across the
entire farm.
“Okay
people, we have a civilian in the compound. Leave him be and do not
talk about our work with him, he does not have clearance.” Andy's
voice echoed around the farm. Rose raised her eyebrows.
“It will
be good for you to stretch your legs.” She said, kissing him. “Now
get dressed, you've got breakfast waiting for you.”
Will
waited for Rose to leave before getting dressed. Looking in the
mirror, he practised trying to look somewhat intimidating. He thought
it 'wasn't half bad', especially with his unkempt hair and growing
beard. He frowned at himself for a few seconds, frozen in a glare of
fear and self loathing. Once he was ready, he cautiously left the
room, taking his jacket with him. He straightened his back and
confidently marched down the hallway. When he entered the command
centre, Andy directed him downstairs. At the table where cards were
being played last night, Rose waited for him, standing behind a
chair, leaning on its back. Though she wore jeans and a leather
jacket, Will saw her wearing an apron, hair grown long and tied up.
He stood still, blinking. Was this an hallucination? A vision of the
future? Or a futile dream? There was no one else in the room. He
exhaled and approached her, sitting in the chair. Rose placed a plate
of pancakes before him. They were covered in butter, maple syrup and
strips of bacon.
“There
you go, baby.” She said, standing over him. “Enjoy.” She kissed
him on the cheek and walked out the front door. Will picked up the
knife and fork. A steak knife. He spun it around his fingers and held
it with a reverse grip. Then he spun it back to normal and began
eating. Smiling to himself as he ate, he knew that Rose had made them
by herself.
Once he
was half finished, people started to enter. Three of them approached
him. The first into the kitchen was a slim blond haired guy, with an
assault rifle slung over his back. Behind him stood a tall muscular
man with a thick bushy black beard. He lumbered into the room holding
a shotgun. They were followed by their leader, a slender woman
wearing a green jacket with a colt python on her hip.
“So this
is the civvie?” The blond guy asked, walking towards him.
“Yes,
leave him alone.” The woman said, sitting down opposite Will, while
the bearded man walked towards a refrigerator.
“Where
d'you get them pancakes from?” The blond guy asked, reaching for
them. Will gripped the knife tightly.
“Rose
made them for him.” The woman said.
“Your
Rose's boy?” He asked, stepping back. Will saw fear in his
expression.
“Heh.”
The bearded man chuckled. “No one messes with Rose, if she vouches
for you, I ain't standing in her way.”
“Sorry
about Blondie, he's got no table manners. I'm Jane, fellah with the
beard is Thatch.” The woman said as Thatch returned to the table
with some sandwiches.
“You're
not much of a talker are you?” Thatch asked, passing some to Jane
and Blondie. Will had to speak now, he had to get in good with these
guys.
“I'm
more of a deep thinker” He said, finishing his food.
“You got
a name?” Blondie asked, wolfing down his sandwich.
“Will.”
He said, quietly.
“D'you
play cards, Will?” Blondie asked, pulling a deck out of his breast
pocket.
“Now and
then.” Will grinned. Blondie began shuffling the deck.
“You're
not dealing again.” Thatch said, gruffly. “Let the new guy deal.”
Blondie looked at Jane, who frowned at him.
“Fine.”
He said, passing Will the deck.
They
played a few hands, then Blondie but some money on the table. Jane
and Thatch did the same. Will thought for a moment. He was no
gambler, but these were Rose's friends, colleagues at least, and he
should stay on their good side. He fished in his pockets for the same
amount and cautiously placed it on the table.
“Don't
worry.” Jane said, smiling. “We won't steal it. Well, Blondie
might, but Thatch'll fill him with lead before he makes the door.”
Will liked Jane. She was strong, confident and she was made of
tougher stuff than the men. She reminded him of Rose a little. She
didn't take any nonsense and if a guy tried to feel her up, she would
break his jaw.
They
played a few hands. Fortunes ebbed and flowed. Blondie lost most of
his money trying to bluff Will with a bad hand. They had been playing
for a long time as Will noted on his watch. Surely they had some
place to be, some work to do. As he thought all this, in the corner
of his eye he saw Rose sliding into the house. She had a feline way
of moving, always fluid and graceful. She looked a little nervous as
she entered, then, upon seeing Will watching her, she smiled and
pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. She stopped at the entrance
to the room, leaning on the door frame.
“Well,
I'm out.” he said, slapping down his cards and standing up. The
others groaned.
“Just
one more hand.” Jane said.
“Yeah,
give us a chance to win our money back.” Blondie protested. Will
gathered his winnings and gave some to Jane and Thatch. He then gave
a single dollar to Blondie.
“Good
luck, pal.” He said, picking up his jacket and walking away. He
heard them resume playing as he approached Rose.
“Having
fun?” She asked, smiling.
“A
little.” He said, cracking a thin smile.
“How
were the pancakes?”
“The
best, you know that you're the best at them.” He said, as she
smiled coyly.
“You
ready to get out of here?”
“Yeah.”
Will said, putting on his jacket. Rose looked away, frowning.
“Can you
wait outside, while I get some things?” She seemed distant, or
nervous.
“Sure.”
He said. Rose then kissed him on the cheek and walked into the
kitchen.
Will
waited for her at the picket fence surrounding the house. This area
of the compound was surprisingly quiet. The sky was now blue, white
clouds rolled by. The golden brown leaves were just starting to fall
and the air was gripped by a growing cold. Will heard the farmhouse
door close and footsteps approach. He turned, expecting to see Rose,
but Jane was walking towards him.
“Is
Rose..?”
“Yeah,
she'll be out in a minute.” Jane said, standing beside him, looking
out over the vista. “I thought I'd keep you company while you
wait.”
“Thanks.”
He said, looking around. There were a few soldiers about and quite a
large gathering in the barn.
“What do
you think of our operation?” She asked, glancing at him. She was
sizing him up. Protective friend?
“Well, I
don't really know what exactly you are doing, but you seem well
disciplined and well equipped.” He said, nervously. Jane chuckled
for a second.
“I see.
Rose tell you much about us?” She asked. She was trying to find out
if he knew anything 'classified'.
“No. She
said you are some kind of private outfit working for the U.N”
“Yeah,
we can't really go into specifics. I'm sorry that the quality of
accommodation is not a high standard. Most of these slobs have never
had a good bed in their life.”
“It is
alright. I'm fine as long as I'm with Rose.” He said, redirecting
the conversation.
“Yeah, I
can tell you two are thick as thieves.” Jane said, looking out at
the horizon. Then she turned to Will, now looking very serious.
“She's a good girl. You better look after her properly.” Will
felt a little intimidated.
“I will.
I love her and would do anything for her.” He said, trying to sound
sincere. Jane stared at him for a few seconds. He made sure not to
blink or look away. She relented, then smiled.
“Good. I
know you'll treat her well. All of these guys are beneath her, but
I've seen the way she looks at you, talks about you. I'm glad you're
here with her. I've rarely seen her as happy as when she's around
you” She said, before looking back to the farmhouse. Rose had
opened the door.
“Alright,
see you around.” Jane said, patting his arm before walking away.
Will looked at Rose as she walked towards him. She exchanged a
whisper with Jane before she passed her.
“Sorry,
I kept you waiting, baby.” She said, rubbing his arm. She seemed a
little guilty.
“It's
fine. Jane kept me company.”
“Oh.”
Rose said, smiling. “What do you think of her?” Protective friend
it was.
“She's
nice.” He said, quickly.
“And the
others?” She asked, her smile faded. She didn't like them much
either.
“They're
alright. I don't think I could stay here for a lot longer though.”
“Right.
We won't be staying much longer, just a few more days. Shall we go?”
She began walking. She was in a hurry.
“Where?”
“For a
walk.” She turned back to face him. “Trust me.” Rose said, her
eyes almost watering. She grabbed his hand and pulled him with her.
They
walked down a path to leave the farm. Rose appeared to be struggling
with a large backpack.
“Let me
carry that.” He said, reaching for the straps. She stepped away
from him.
“No. I
got this, baby.” She said, smiling. The bag looked far too big and
heavy for her and despite Will's chivalrous tendencies, she refused
him.
“What
are you even carrying in that?”
“It's a
secret.” She said, coyly.
“Where
are we even going?”
“It's a
secret.”
“Is
everything a secret?” He asked, snidely. It wasn't fun any more.
“Please,
just trust me, baby.” She said, stopping. “Do you trust me?”
She said, with a solemn tone. The tears were back.
Will
hesitated for a moment, looking into Rose's blue eyes. There was no
sign of deception in them, only hope.
“Yes,
but you are testing my patience a bit.” He said, trying to deflect.
“I know.
I'm sorry, baby.” She said, saddened by her own secretive ways.
“But, I will make it worth your while.” She promised.
They
walked in silence for a few minutes. Rose stopped and gripped his
hand.
“Here we
are.” She said, taking off the backpack. Will looked around in
confusion. They were in a large field with a single oak tree standing
in the centre. There was nothing here.
“What am
I supposed to be looking at?” He asked as she held his arm and
directed it towards the tree.
“That
tree over there, we are going to have a picnic under it.” She
pointed at the tree.
“You
brought me out here for a picnic?” He was still confused.
“Yeah, I
mean the weather is not the best but it's just me and you and the
view.”
“The
view is pretty spectacular” He said, looking at the mountains in
the distance as Rose reached into her pocket.
“Also, I
wanted to ask you...” She said, getting down on one knee. He turned
back to her. “Will you marry me?” She had blindsided him.
“What?”
He was nearly lost for words.
“I know
the man is supposed to ask but I couldn't wait.” She said, looking
up at him, her eyes sparkling. She never looked more beautiful.
“Rose,
I...” He stammered.
“Just
say yes.” She said, still smiling, though in the back of her eyes
she was beginning to worry. He could not say no. Not now.
“Yes, of
course, yes.” He said, quickly taking the ring and pulling her up
to her feet. He kissed her, pulling her into him. When he let her go,
she looked slightly surprised.
“Wow!”
She said, catching her breath. “Where was that all this time?”
“I... It
was to make up for hesitating.”
“Can I
expect that level of kissing in the future?”. She asked. He
smirked, then picked her up, slinging the backpack over his shoulder.
He ran towards the tree, carrying her.
“What
are you doing?” She exclaimed.
“I can't
wait!” He panted, grinning maniacally.
Once
they arrived at the tree, he carefully let her down and opened the
backpack. He unfurled a large blanket and lay it before the tree. He
then picked up Rose and carefully laid her on the blanket. Will
climbed on top of her and began kissing her.
“Wait.”
She protested.
“Yes?”
He asked. His grin had faded.
“You
want to do this now?” She raised her eyebrows.
“I'm
just so excited. I want to make love to my fiancĂ©e.” He stared
into her blue eyes which sparkled in the sunlight.
Will
lay on the blanket, catching his breath, while Rose emptied the
backpack. He stared at the greying clouds. Rose glanced towards him.
“Are you
okay, baby?” She asked, concerned by his his sudden stoic
demeanour.
“I'm
just a bit worried about the future.”
“Why?”
She asked, leaning towards him and placing her hand on his chest. A
lump formed in his throat.
“I don't
like uncertainty.”
“There's
nothing uncertain.” She held his hand as he sat up. “We'll go
home soon. I'll finish my contract, then we'll get married and live
in a cabin out in the country.” She kissed him. “Would you like a
glass of wine?” He looked at the vista before him. The sun was
nearing the horizon.
A few
hours later, they returned to the farmhouse as the sky darkened. Will
entered their room, while Rose talked with Andy who was in the
kitchen. He looked at his phone, a few missed calls. He sent a
message, reading; “Can't talk now. Will call tomorrow.”. He then
locked his phone and looked out the window. He watched the stars
sparkling in the sky as Rose came into the room.
“Beautiful
isn't it?” She asked.
“Yeah...”
Will said, still staring out the window. Rose sat next to him and
pulled his face around to her.
“What
about me?” She grinned.
“Unparalleled.”
He said, looking into her eyes. “Nothing is as beautiful as you.”
“Thank
you.” She smiled, coyly, before kissing him. They lay in bed,
watching the stars.
The
next morning, Will opened his eyes to see Rose facing him already
awake.
“Morning,
husband.” Rose said, stroking his chest.
“Morning.”
He said, still a little groggy. Rose looked at him expectantly. He
realised what she was waiting for. “Morning, my beautiful wife.”
He said, sitting up.
“Shall
we take a shower?” She asked, standing up.
“Sure.”
He said checking his phone.
“Everything
okay?”
“Yeah,
just need to give work a call. I'll do it after the shower.” He
said, standing up. “After you.” He gestured.
After
having a shower together, Will walked outside to make a phone call.
He climbed up to the top of the windmill. The sky was red as the sun
slowly rose, blasting Will with light.
“Authorisation
code: 1203 Charlie Tango Uniform 3832 Sierra Foxtrot.” He said into
the phone.
“Standby.”
A male voice cut through. Will waited, looking around the farm. He
noticed new arrivals, a car and some trucks carrying large crates. A
smartly dressed man climbed out of the car. His hair was greased back
and he had a fixed grin as he glanced around.
“Update.”
A female voice came through.
“I'm in
the compound.”
“Good,
let's go over your targets. Mikhail Konstantin, the arms dealer.”
“I see
him.” He said, looking at the grinning man. He's brought the cell a
large supply of weaponry.”
“We must
not let those weapons get away. Eliminate Konstantin and destroy the
cache.”
“Understood.”
Will said, apathetically.
“Next is
Jane McDonald, former SAS operative and terrorist drill sergeant.”
“She is
setting up an operation using a jeep mounted turret and a large
quantity of explosives.”
“Perhaps
you could use those to your advantage. Have you confirmed her
presence?”
“I've
met her. I've also made contact with the ring leader Andy, Andrew
Durant.”
“Yes, he
has been credited as the mastermind behind dozens of attacks over the
last few months, his body count is unparalleled. He cannot be allowed
to leave with his life.”
“Got
it.”
“There
is one more target.” The woman paused. “Rose Campbell.” Will
said nothing. “You got close to her. Will this be a problem?”
Will looked at his ring stroked it with his thumb. He paused for a
moment.
“No.”
He finally said, letting go of the ring.
“We have
operatives standing by at the perimeter.”
“Keep
them out until I've finished my mission. I need to find an opening.”
He looked at Konstantin, who was examining the contents of a crate.
“Understood.
Contact me when it is done.” The line went dead.
Once the
fuse was lit, there was no going back. Will saw Konstantin enter the
toilets. Now was the opening. He climbed down and went into the
toilets. Konstantin was in one of the stalls. Will headed to the
sink, turning on the cold water. He washed his face until the stall
door opened and Konstantin strode to the sink and washed his hands.
“Hello.”
He said, drying his hands.
“Hey.”
Will said, doing the same. “Find the place alright?”
“Yeah,
but why you picked this place, I'll never know.”
“I hear
you brought some specialised equipment.”
“Yes,
fresh out of the factory. Here, check out this new 9mm with extended
magazine and silencer.” He said, drawing a pistol. Was this the
opportunity?
“May I?”
Will asked. Konstantin gave him the gun. That was easy, Will thought.
He bounced the gun in his hands and checked the magazine. He then
aimed down the sights a few times.
“It's
pretty good.” He mused.
“Yes,
you'll be able to kill many police with it.” Konstantin's grin
sickened him. He then aimed the gun at Konstantin and shot him in the
forehead. As he began to fall to the ground, Will grabbed his jacket,
keeping him in place. He then dragged him into the stall, propping
him on the seat. Rifling through his pockets, he found a few more
magazines. He pocketed them, tucked the gun into his belt and closed
the door.
Stepping out into the cold Autumnal morning, he inhaled. When he
subsequently exhaled, he could see the cloud of warm air dissipate.
Rose was still in the house with Andy. First he needed to eliminate
Jane. The explosives could be used as a distraction. Finding them was
not too tricky. A crate of C4 was lying in the barn. Someone would
soon be looking for Konstantin. Will was now on the clock. Over the
next few minutes, he placed C4 beneath various cars, fuel tanks and
ammunition caches. Next, he had to find Jane and that meant
infiltrating the area with the highest concentration of soldiers.
The
barn was the largest building beside the farmhouse and there were
soldiers swarming all over it. A large jeep was parked in the centre
of the barn. Will leant against the exterior wall, listening to
voices and footsteps. He poked his head around to see someone testing
the gun on the back of the truck. They fired a few rounds at a
target. It looked like it could fire a few hundred bullets before
reloading. The bullets themselves were .50 BMG, capable of shredding
through flesh and bone. A voice rose above the gunfire and chatter.
“Alright
everyone, gather round.” Jane shouted. “We're moving out at 0900
tomorrow, so let's go over the plan.” Will crept behind the mass of
bodies and hid behind the jeep. He took the detonator for the
explosives out of his pocket and held his thumb over the trigger. No
turning back. Pulling the trigger, he climbed onto the jeep. In the
distance a series of massive explosions erupted, throwing soil and
debris into the red sky. The soldiers in the barn turned in confusion
as Will reached the turret. He pulled the unlocking mechanism, which
made a loud click, then sprayed bullets at the crowd, ripping through
them in a matter of seconds. As the smoke from the barrel dissipated,
he climbed down from the jeep and walked towards Jane. She was hit in
the stomach and bleeding heavily. Upon seeing him, she reached for
her pistol. Will pressed his foot down on her wrist and picked up her
gun.
“Y-you...”
She coughed. He aimed at her head.
“The UN
sends its regards.” He pulled the trigger. Halfway there. As he
left, he noticed Blondie and Thatch in the mass of bodies. Searching
Blondie, he took a fistful of dollars out of his jacket. Blondie's
eyes were still open. He blinked at Will.
“Always
keep your cards close to your chest.” Will said, considering
shooting him. Blondie was closer to death than Jane was and he didn't
have time to check each body. He saw some grenades on Thatch's belt
and took a few of them. As he left the barn, he tossed one behind
him.
More
explosions went off throughout the farm. Will switched back to the
9mm. He began to run to the farmhouse, but ducked behind cover when
some soldiers noticed him. He ran past more cover as they followed
him. Exchanging shots as they ran beside him, he glanced at his
watch. Will stopped as an explosion went off in the distance causing
the soldiers to stop and look away. He quickly jumped out of cover
and fired at them. He then moved towards the house, dispatching the
odd soldier that was in his way.
As he
walked up the path to the front door, he noticed a soldier looking
out of the second floor window. He aimed the 9mm at him and pulled
the trigger. The bullet pierced the glass and the soldier fell out,
clutching his stomach. Will paused to check his ammo. He was out of
the 9mm bullets so he switched to Jane's Colt Python, which had five
.357 bullets remaining. He picked up the soldier's rifle and slung it
over his shoulder. When he reached the door, he paused again. He
didn't know how many soldiers would be inside, though judging by his
kill count so far, there couldn't be many. He took a deep breath,
then kicked open the door.
Everything seemed to move in slow motion. As Will walked inside, Andy
was running across the foyer and Rose was following him. Her eyes
widened when she saw Will.
“Will?”
She quietly asked. Andy was reaching for his gun. Will fired at Andy,
killing him instantly, then aimed at Rose. She stopped. “What are
you...” He lowered the gun slightly, tears forming in his eyes. She
looked at Andy, then back to Will. She had worked it out. “How
could you..?” He pulled the trigger.
Rose
was not dead, not yet. She was on the floor, clutching her stomach.
“I'm
sorry.” He said, looking away from her.
“You
used me!” She whimpered. “You lied to me.”
“I
know.”
“Why did
you say yes?” She asked, seeing him look at the ring.
“If I
said no, I wouldn't be able to complete my mission.”
“Your
mission?” She had no idea
“I was
sent by the UN to eliminate Andy, Jane and the arms dealer, Mikhail.”
“You
were undercover for months?” She realised it was all a lie.
“You
were my way in.” He said, quietly.
“You
never loved me...” She began.
“I did.”
He interrupted her. “At first, it was just the mission, but then I
fell for you. I loved you, I asked you to run away with me, so I
wouldn't have to do this. I'm sorry.” His words rang hollow.
“I loved
you, I...” She stuttered, closing her eyes. A few teardrops fell
onto the floorboards. Will looked at the ring. He took it off and
thought for a moment. Then he dropped the ring on the floor, beside
the teardrops.
Comments
Post a Comment